So one day I was riding the Den-Entoshi line, and it was PACKED! Probably the most crowded train I've ever been on. I stepped onto the train at Shibuya station, and just when I thought it was crammed enough, more people started piling in! I was pushed about 10 feet from where I first set foot on the train. Having nothing better to do, I decided to count how many people were touching me. Even with my small stature, I was touching SIX different people at the same time! When the train stopped at the next station, I was able to grab hold of one of the handles... but then people started piling in again, and I kept getting pushed to the side. I tried my hardest to keep holding the handle with my right hand, but the pressure of the crowd was too great, so I had to let go. I was so squished between people that I couldn't put my hand back down by my side! So I just left it up there, my hand next resting against forehead, and my arm propped up by people's shoulders. My body was even slanting at an angle; I was barely touching the floor because I was being lifted by the people surrounding me. At the next train stop, I was able to put my right hand back down, but then I became sandwiched between two people. My face was pressed up against the back of someone's shoulder, and I felt pressure on my front and back side, making it difficult to breathe! Finally, at the next stop, one seat opened up and I was able to sit down! It was only for a couple of minutes, because at the next stop I had to get off... but boy, those two minutes felt so good!
Gotta love the Japanese trains!


4 comments:
Like sands through the hourglass, so are the Japanese on a subway.
I marvel at how pretty and composed you look, Eileen -- even when being compressed from all sides by a million cubic tons of businessman.
before you leave, you should try to set a record for people touching you.. like 10 or something.. that is, if your small frame can manage more than 6 people...
hey roomie, you need to update yo!
i was laughing out loud while reading your adventure.
Post a Comment